Monday, May 13, 2013

Design Wall Monday and Stash Report

Grandma had some quilt tops to be pinned to their prequilted backing yesterday.  This one was made with batiks.
This one, about lap-sized, reminds me of the monsters in "Where the Wild Things Are," or maybe a really wild video game.  She said it wasn't much fun to piece.  There are several more tops waiting to be pinned underneath her bed.  And she keeps bringing over her bags of scraps for me.  Here's what I've been doing with them:
With the scraps and strings I've been accumulating and sorting, I have been piecing string blocks.  I'm trying some with "low volume" fabrics... that's what's on the design wall right now.
And some with more saturated colors.  These are 5.5" blocks, pieced onto paper from old phone books.
And there are several 3.5" minis.  I have no idea what I'm going to use them for yet, but they're fun and therapeutic to piece.

Stash Report:

Fabric:
Fabric used this week: About 2 yards gifted in the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway
Fabric used year to date: 31.5 yards
Added this week: 0 yards
Added year to date: 17 yards
Net used for 2013: 14.5 yards

Knitting yarn:
Yarn used this week: 0 yards
Yarn used year to date: 5900 yards.
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 1300 yards
Net used for 2013: 4600 yards




1 comment:

Gari in AL said...

I really like sewing string blocks: mindless sewing and later they make the most wonderful quilts that look like my grandma made them.