Monday, April 29, 2013

Finished Auction Quilt - The Forest of Rhetoric

A finished quilt, donated to the Cedar Tree auction "Belt-Buckle Ball" coming up in a few weeks.  It's called "Silva Rhetoricae - the Forest of Rhetoric," and it has the signature of every single student in the school, K-12.  It's about 66"x78", has a hanging sleeve if you want to display it on the wall, and it's made from scraps and crumbs and backed with a vintage sheet.  I made a similar quilt last year too.  The crumbs technique has made me a much more liberated quilter, and I love the "nothing goes to waste" philosophy behind it.
At midrange you can see some of the variety of blocks, and how completely improvisational they were.  Leftovers from Orca Bay and Easy street, leftovers from Jack's chain, leftovers from a 9-patch and log cabins, and experiments that I didn't want to take further.  That floral green Thimbleberries print I used for the border and binding? It came from an old maternity dress that I deconstructed.
Closeup of the Tardis block I made for the Senior class.  They like Dr. Who.
I made several blocks with trees, either 6" square or 6x12" tall.  They were my uniting theme in the quilt.  Let the bidding war begin!
Grandma keeps cleaning out her crumbs and sending them along to us.  Slowly, I've been sorting them and cutting some of them into squares:
At this rate I have enough for several dozen more crumbs quilts, but not time to make them!
And on the design wall, there's one more scrappy trip-around-the-world block.  I'm not making these very fast, and I'm not sure whether I want to make a full quilt out of them, but they're fun for their own sake.

Time for another weekly Stash Report;

Fabric:
Fabric used this week: .5 yard for binding for auction quilt
Fabric used year to date: 29.5 yards
Added this week: 0 yards
Added year to date: 17 yards
Net used for 2013: 12.5 yards

Knitting yarn:
Yarn used this week: 0 yards
Yarn used year to date: 5900 yards.
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 1300 yards
Net used for 2013: 4600 yards




8 comments:

Whitney said...

WOW, WOW, and more WOW. this quilt is amazing . .beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

I love your mix of fabrics and blocks with just enough repetition of houses and trees to unify it. I hope for high bidding!

Laura said...

I love this quilt! I'm saving my orphan blocks and hope to make one like it someday.

Jennifer said...

Love the auction quilt. I bet it was fun to remember where the fabrics were once purposed for in other projects.

Chris said...

Really great. I love the quilt and you are so kind to donate it.

Sarah Craig said...

Oh Kathy, what a spectacular quilt!! I love that every
time you look at it, you see something different - I could spend days just looking at it!

Whoop whoop!!

Lynette said...

Wow! One of the parents is sure going to be happy about winning this one!

Schulz Family said...

That is amazing. What a finished quilt. What a lot of work. Visiting from sew darn crafty