Wednesday, April 24, 2013

WIP Wednesday and Yarn-Along

I just took the Cedar Tree auction quilt off of the Megaquilter.  Now to get it bound and signed over to the auction folks.
I should probably put a hanging sleeve on too.  I don't know what quilting or sewing project I want to do next.  It's kind of a nice place to be.
Reading Real Education by Charles Murray, and not making a lot of progress on the Farmer McGregor socks.  I haven't really felt like knitting lately.  More precisely, I haven't felt very motivated to knit socks lately.

Real Education makes four arguments that are rather controversial in today's educational climate:
  1. Ability varies.
  2. Half of the children are below average.
  3. Too many people are going to college.
  4. America's future depends on how we educate the academically gifted.
Plenty of challenging stuff in there.  As a teacher and as a mom of a special needs child, I can really sympathize with the argument that we can't realistically demand "no child left behind."  And I can certainly sympathize with the despair of trying to educate someone who doesn't have the ability to understand the subject.


2 comments:

Renee said...

Beautiful quilt! I hope it auctions for a handsome sum ;-)

ipatchandquilt said...

That book just sounds like common sense to me... But this is coming from a european standpoint. Our schoolsystem is very different and is based on the fact that children have different abilities and talents.
Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com