Saturday, March 9, 2013

Randomday: Improvisational

It's a Tardis.  It's obviously a Tardis.  Bolstered by the Pointless Dr. Who References amongst the polyptetons and synechdoches of last night's Cedar Tree Spring Program version of "The Dragon and St. George" with 52 figures of speech, which was written and performed by the senior class, I decided that what my Cedar Tree signature quilt really needed was a Tardis.  Even if Steve didn't get it, it's a Tardis.  It's blue, it has that light thingy on top, it's sitting on a field of monster sunflowers reminiscent of the Van Gogh episode, it's made out of the cosmic fabric of the universe, and it's just waiting for the Seniors to sign it.  If they want to.

"Improvisational" is almost a synonym of "Random."  I am observing Randomday by going into high gear with improvisational piecing on the Cedar Tree Auction quilt.  I am still missing ...<runs off to count the blank spots>... 13 blocks to make up a full count.  I don't think I'll get them all done today, but the improvisational piecing goes fast.  The family room floor is being held hostage until I finish and decide on a final layout.

I also need to do three Latin translations for the Latinstudy list... Caesar's de Bello Gallico, in which Sabinus was a fool and negotiated with an armed enemy (against EVERY principle of Roman history from the very beginning!) and Cotta and the rest of the legion paid for it with their lives; Bede's Ecclesiastical History, in which various unpronounceable kings and tribes are being evangelized by well-meaning bishops who occasionally stumble over the proper dating of Easter; and Lucretius' de Rerum Natura, in which the author decries the dehumanizing influence of religion in lush heroic, philosophical poetry that is, to be quite honest, several notches above my reading level.

I need to do the Greek lesson for Sunday School tomorrow, preferably alongside of Steve so we can maximize our effort.  He is kind enough to compare himself to Ron and me to Hermione when we do our Greek homework together.  But after Latin prose or poetry translations, Greek grammar is pretty much a walk in the park, just in a different alphabet.

Steve is dropping off his car for service at the dealership and I need to go pick him up.

Our first daffodil is blooming outside.

Steve just finished watching a Perry Mason episode in which the murderer was identified by lip prints.  If Perry Mason is to be believed, lip prints are as distinctive as fingerprints.

I carpooled multiple 7th graders over the the Spring Program practice on Thursday.  I think the secret is to split the boys up.  When I drove for the Fall Program, I had all boys in the car and I never want to do that again.  They're nice boys, but it worked much better when the girls were present to exercise their civilizing influence.  I apparently do not count as a civilizing influence just by my lonesome.  Goodness knows I try, though.

This is apparently my 518th blog post.  I forgot to make a big deal about the 500th.

I still think it obviously looks like a Tardis.

One cannot fix one's eyes on the commonest natural production without finding food for a rambling fancy -- Jane Austen

1 comment:

Jill said...

Looks like a Tardis to me! (Of course, I wouldn't know what a Tardis is if my daughter hadn't gotten hooked on Dr. Who a few months ago.)