Friday, July 29, 2011

Sock Summit

Today I went to the Sock Summit marketplace.  This monument to fibery capitalism is sensory overload for any knitter, and there was a lot of spinning fiber too.  I succeeded in keeping the expenditures under budget -- barely.  Left to right: Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga in "Bog Fritillary," Little Red Bicycle Hipster Sock in "Vixen," souvenir Sock Summit coffee mug, and Holiday Yarns spinning fiber with superwash merino, nylon, silk, and silver in it.

There was a sock museum demonstrating sock knitting techniques through the ages.  I saw the preliminary heats of the "fastest sock knitter" contest.  There are famous lights in the knitting world there -- the Yarn Harlot and I crossed paths in the ladies' room.  I chatted with Wanda Jenkins about the Buttercup top that I was wearing and both of us have knit.  If I had had unlimited funds I would have bought another spindle from them -- I really like the Lark, but I don't really need another spindle.

Wow, that was fun.  Good thing I don't go someplace like this every week.

No comments: