Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WIPs and UFOs

WIP = Work In Progress
UFO = Un-Finished Object

The difference, I think, is that the motivation to finish a WIP is a little greater.  UFOs just tend to produce guilt and negative energy.  I made a list of my quilting UFOs after organizing my craft area.  There are a lot of them (11), and some of them require a great deal of skill and time and mental energy to finish; so I just started a new WIP. 
This is the Framed in Quilt I mentioned before, from Moda Bake Shop.  I'm going for a twin size, so I need to make 48 blocks instead of 36: I have about 14 more to go.  I'm using only blue scraps from my 3 bins of scraps, and some plain white cotton for background.   I will probably set the blocks together in this way, once they are all made and squared up.  I like how fast and easily it's going together.

Unlike my UFOs.  Here's the list, with what's keeping me from finishing it in parentheses:
  1. Piecemakers calendar quilt from 1996 (too much applique and fiddly work)
  2. Feathered star wall quilt from 1999 (imperfect piecing, unsure about further design)
  3. Scrappy log cabin from 2004 (needs more blocks to make a bed-size quilt)
  4. Sports quilt to donate to NEXT year's auction (still guilty about not finishing this year)
  5. Jack's Chain from 2007 (set-in seams, slow piecing)
  6. assorted Americana 12" blocks (not enough blocks yet)
  7. assorted bright 9" blocks (not enough blocks yet)
  8. classical themed tote bag (at bottom of a pile)
  9. machine quilting for Grandma's Chinese Lantern quilt (don't know if I can do it right)
  10. quilting for "Aunt Maggie's" block-of-the-month quilt from last year (need to do Grandma's first)
  11. binding for Shirt-stripe Boxes quilt (just need to dig out my walking foot - there's actually hope for this one)
Maybe in a week or so I'll have a finished object to report.

No comments: