Saturday, November 10, 2012

Randomday

Well, poop.

That was my Facebook status update Wednesday morning.  Some may argue that my usual command of the English language failed me, but I think it's le mot juste.  I've been writing a lengthy post about the decline and fall of the Roman Empire in my head all week, but it's still not actually, you know, written.  The reality of four more years of incompetent and misguided leadership is becoming more depressing with each passing day.  But the blog must go on.

Saturday is never long enough for all the randomness that needs to be done on Saturday.  Have you noticed that?

Steve is making lots of applesauce. 

Winesap apples are my very favorite kind.  I thought for a few years that Arkansas Black might take their place, but the Arkansas Black apples are almost too crispy/starchy.  But it's a close competition.

My students all had their final exam on Thursday.  I've graded all of them, but there are still a bunch of other assignments to get through before turning in the grades.  Latin bloopers provide some much-needed comic relief in a week like this.  For example: the 7th grader who translated "adhibenda est in jocando moderatio" as "be moderate in your jocking."  Twice.  And the other 7th grader who left an entire portion of the vocabulary section blank.

I quilted an entire Feathered Star wallhanging today on my Megaquilter.  I did all the feathers freehand, and I am really pleased with how it turned out.  Pictures of that will have to wait until another day though.
Here is shawl #10 in my 12 shawls in 2012 challenge.  Made with some of my handspun from a batt from Butterfly Girl Designs in the "Mardi Gras" colorway.  It is "Mayan Spring" (with the presumption that we will still be here after the Mayan calendar thing, which I'm not so sure about now, but anyway).  It has been turned over to the designer, who asked that she not be named and the shawl not be pictured in full until she has a chance to submit the pattern for publication.  I listed it in the Ravelry group with this picture and a brief description of the circumstances, and the post is gathering lots of "disagree" votes.  Don't you just love the cattiness of some knitters?  I'm going to need to hide the disagree button again.  I was just getting tough enough to handle seeing it in the political groups... but this is the shawl knitting group!

I'm going to bed to finish reading The Mark of Athena.

No comments: