Thursday, January 6, 2011

Today was a cooking day...

The menu never really changes for The Last Noel. Sloppy Joes, Dairy Hollow House Pasta Salad, veggies with that amazing dip recipe I got from Fern R., potato chips, assorted Christmas cookies, punch, hot cider, coffee and tea. We will push back the kitchen table against the wall and have it be the drink station. Foods will be served from the kitchen island, except for the cookies, which will be placed strategically throughout the living room and dining room.

I bought 10 pounds of ground beef for the Sloppy Joes yesterday, then another 5 today when I started thinking about all the teenage boys who will be coming straight from racquetball. I decided to stretch it even further by adding lots of onions and celery as I was browning it today. I lost track, but I think maybe 9 onions all told, and almost a whole bunch of celery. And peppers. The fumes from the onions bother me as I chop, but then my eyeballs toughen up and everyone else is bothered by the smell as they cook, and I can't even tell. The rest of the seasonings and sauces will be added tomorrow when I plop the meat into the crock pot. I also made the pasta salad, which is a fairly big production. It's chilling in the fridge in my biggest ceramic bowl, with only the garbanzo beans and cheese to be added before serving. Steve is making yet one more batch of cookies tonight, and The Mikado is blasting on the computer.

I also made this recipe today, for today's dessert after spaghetti: banana mousse It was quite nice, and a good way to use up some bananas and Knox gelatin.

Here's that recipe for dip for veggies:
1 C. sour cream
1 C. mayonnaise
1 t. each: dried minced onion, Lawry's or McCormick's seasoned salt, Accent, dill, Worcestershire sauce
1 T. parsley flakes
11 drops Tabasco sauce

It's best to let it chill overnight for the flavors to blend. I need to go mix it up now.

There has been absolutely no knitting or quilting going on today, and not nearly as much cleaning as I'd like. I'd love to have a spotlessly clean house, but I will settle for Not Noticeably Filthy.

No comments: