Once again there is a link-up at Quiltville
for the Good Fortune mystery quilt. Here is what I have been working on this week:
Clue number 2 is supposed to be half-square triangles of neutrals and BLUE. As you can see, I am switching up the colors that I'll be working with this year. I am so glad I have been working on building up a scrappy supply of pre-cut strips using Bonnie's "Scrap Users System" (you can find out more here
). When the clue comes out each Friday, I simply open up my box of strips in the appropriate size:
On the left is the size I used this week, on the right was last week's. I pulled out the roll of neutrals and the roll of greens this week (actually, I had a roll of light greens and a roll of dark greens, and I pulled from both because I'm all about variety.) This week I was able to do about 80% of the units without having to cut new strips from my fat quarters and other yardage, which really let me get into the piecing quickly. By the time I got a little bit bored with doing one thing, I was mostly finished! This is one of the reasons I love the Scrap Users system -- I really didn't feel like making major decisions this week, and I could just pull strips almost at random and go. I'm not planning on buying any new fabric for this quilt, but of course never say never.
Clues one and two together ... they look kind of seasonally appropriate.
I did make a few sets of units in the recommended blue, just to try out different possibilities later on.
And here are some of the extra units from last week that I made in blue, for the same reason. Any extra units will go into my collection of extra and orphan units and be used in a future scrappy quilt.
But one of the requirements I put on myself if I was going to do this mystery was that I would have to also finish up the top from last year's mystery, On Ringo Lake. Last week after doing the red four-patches I cut the brown cornerstones and pieced the side setting blue triangles. And finished piecing the sashings, which was where I had bogged down last year. Last night I stayed up a little too late and laid out the pieces on the family room floor. Surprisingly, Muffball (the cat) did not "block surf" too much. This morning I started the lengthy process of piecing the pieces together. Diagonal sets are always a bit overwhelming, but I think it is going well so far:
There's one corner done! I do love how all the scrappy colors sparkle like sunrise on a still lake. I wonder how long my family will put up with the blocks laid out on the floor? I do enjoy this one and will be glad to have it as a top. Then I will have to quilt it, but that is another challenge for another day.
Thanks so much to everyone who stopped by, and Good Fortune to you!
Your reds and greens look nice together. I am trying to finish my Ringo Lake too. I was just ready to quilt it when I broke my wrist. Almost back to normal now so I got started yesterday.
I really like that you're using green instead of blue for your Good Fortune quilt! Good luck on finishing your On Ringo Lake too!
I've been checking out all the quilters doing alternate colorways because I want to try that in the future. You are taking the right approach with whatever units you make: if it turns out not to work for this it will work for another project. The great thing about a Quiltville Mystery is that if you haven't finished the prior one, they make great leader/enders for the current one! That's how I got En Provence finished last year while doing ORL. I'm with you though -- quilting them will be for another time, LOL!!
Lovely!! Love green, my fave color.
Post a Comment