Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Post-Christmas Post

Christmas day was busy and happy; we opened stockings before church in the morning, then came home for dinner with Grandma and Grandpa.  We opened presents, cleaned up the dishes, Grandma and Grandpa left and we rested a bit before the Lessons and Carols service in the evening.
My dear daughter got me fabric softener for Christmas. She picked it out herself, at Dollar Tree. I was trailing along behind her to help and she sternly told me not to look, but I had already seen it. I think she thought it was hand lotion to make my skin smell nice. It has the sweet picture of a mother with her baby and the caption "soft as a mother's love," so I'm flattered she thought of me. I do hope she doesn't expect me to produce a baby out of it, though.

Steve promised each of the kids a "date with Daddy" including a meal at the restaurant of their choice and an activity.  Tertia cashed hers in yesterday with a trip to that great Hazel Dell institution, Steakburger, for mini-golfing and lunch.  Quarta is requesting bowling and Burgerville, Secundus is going to see Sherlock Holmes and eat at 5 Guys, and Primigenitus has inherited my hesitancy and is still making up his mind.  Other memorable gifts: a bunch of Disney movies (Ratatouille, Dumbo, Pooh, and Tangled), the new Zelda game for Secundus mainly, a Greek New Testament and subscription to Analog for Primigenitus.  I bought Steve some things off his Amazon wish list but since I didn't do that until Christmas Eve they aren't here yet (yes, I know... very poor planning on my part).  I did finish his socks yesterday evening:
...He's wearing them today.  He gave me some more custom-created CDs with replacements for some of my favorite old cassette tapes: Steeleye Span and an album that includes Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Cats, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I also now have a little LED reading book-light that recharges on a base and will help me barrel through my huge reading stack without waking him up with an overhead light.
I made Christian's Potatoes to go with the ham for Christmas dinner.  It's an old family recipe, and I couldn't find it online, although it does bear a strong resemblance to Mormon Funeral Potatoes.

8 - 10 medium potatoes, skins left on, boiled about 20 min. with 2  bay leaves

Coarsely grate or chop potatoes; spread in greased pan.  Then make a sauce:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 C. sour cream
1/4 cup melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 C. finely chopped or grated onion
1 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese

Gently mix sauce with potatoes in pan and bake 30 min. at 350 degrees or until bubbly and hot.  My grandma put bread crumbs on top, but I never have.

No comments: