Monday, April 23, 2012

Farmer's Wife at the Farmhouse



I am so very seriously excited to share my finished Farmer's Wife Quilt top. Here it is on my outdoor design wall/fence. I was thrilled that the morning sunshine cooperated for a nice photo shoot.  I have a white picket fence and a 100-year-old farmhouse for such a time as this.
All 111 blocks are in there to make the queen sized version of the Farmer's Wife Quilt, about 83"x103".  All of the blocks were made from my scraps, with a special emphasis on vintage and upcycled fabric.  I did buy fabric for the sashing and borders because I needed that blue to tie it all together.  And it did!  I really love the way the colors all harmonize, even though there's a little of everything in there.
I'm figuring out how to quilt it... I'm pretty sure feathers will be required for the borders and setting triangles.  But no way am I marking it; it will have to be freehand.  True confessions: the sashing strips and cornerstones do not all match up with perfect corners.  And I am not at all fussed about that, either!
A bit of a different angle to try to capture the Veronica blooming on the stone wall.  I will be linking up this post to Facebook, Flickr, Pinterest, the Patchwork Times, the Homestead Revival Barn Hop, Crazy Mom Quilts, Sew Many Ways, and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I am just so happy to have made it to this point.  I love the book and the patterns, and I love the way this quilt celebrates my rural and thrifty heritage in a way that is very "me."

Stash report

Fabric used this week: 8.2  yards (estimated for FWQ top; there are a lot of seam allowances in there!)
Fabric used year to date: 31.8 yards
Added this week: 0 yards

Added year to date: 27.2 yards
Net used for 2012: 4.6 yards


Yarn used this week: 0 yards

Yarn used year to date: 1956 yards
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 492 yards (all handspun, not purchased)
Net used for 2012: 1464 yards

15 comments:

Michelle MMMM4 said...

It's beautiful Kathy. I love the blue, you're right it pulls it all together. I have the book but haven't even thought about starting it yet, I hope someday to find the time.

quirky granola girl said...

congrats on finishing your FW top!! it looks beautiful!

--ginger. said...

This is just lovely.

marcella said...

That is really beautiful! Congratulations on finishing the top. Have fun with the quilting!

debi said...

corner stones - sashing matching - nevermind- better finished!!!! It looks wonderful and we would never have known if you didn't post it! From Debi in Australia

Vicki H. said...

Beautiful, I am setting my Civil War Diary quilt like this. I am also stalled out on my FW but seeing yours is really inspiring me to get going on it again. I love it and I think the blue sashing is perfect. Very very nice.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Did you get this from the book with the same name? I have that book and it's fabulous. Your quilt is beautiful :) :) I found your blog post via the Homestead Barn Hop this week. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :) :) :)

trish said...

Wow wow and wow! That is a gorgeous quilt! :o) Congratulations on your finish.

Heidi Staples said...

Fantastic finish!!

Sue Daurio said...

Oh my goodness what an incredible treasure! Congrats on a fantastic finish!

My Life In Quilts said...

Wonderful job! I really like the blue.

Leslie said...

this is such a gorgeous quilt

Maddy said...

Wonderful! you have every right to be very proud!

Your Creative Friends at the Calico House said...

wow and congratulations. What a treasure.Thanks for sharing it.

EllenQ said...

I am a very, very novice quilter and I just can't imagine the work that you put into that beautiful quilt! What a treasure.