Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Orca Bay Mystery 3

I have 210 of the 350 HST units I need, and am doing a few strips at a time.  They go fast.  Notice the little Kermits, pirate skulls, cartoon cats and flowers in this close-up.  I like using the strip method to cut these, along with my Fons and Porter flying geese triangle cutter.  I usually do a grid for HSTs, but this seems to be more accurate without having to square them up afterwards... maybe because there is less stretching along the bias.

This is a fun way to do a quilt.  I like the fact that each step is self-contained and thus the cleanup afterwards is minimal.  I also like the fact that it's making a dent in some of my unloved scraps.  I'm getting excited to see each new step as it's released.  For my color scheme, I'm sticking pretty close to the model, but others are changing it up.  I'm linking up to Bonnie Hunter's show-and-tell page so you can see what everyone else is doing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your fabrics. Hope we get to use the next colour for step 4. Roll on Friday!