Saturday, August 31, 2013

Randomday

I had a cavity filled this last week.  Turns out, there apparently are (were) still a few spaces in my teeth without fillings.  I sure hope they develop the ability to use stem cells to clone new teeth before I get much older, because I don't think my teeth are going to make it.  Ever since getting the filling, my bite has been off.  It was on the far left lower molar, and now those two far left teeth meet before any of my other teeth.  Of course, it doesn't help that I don't have a corresponding far right lower molar.  That's the one I want to see about getting an implant for someday.  Of course, I'll never be able to afford that.  I might be able to work up the courage to call the dentist and ask about having the new filling filed down.  But not very likely.  Easier to just learn to live with the new normal, right?

I am in complete and abject denial about the looming start of school.  Even though I took Tertia and Quarta out and spent $200 or so today on school supplies, 3 pairs of shoes, 2 backpacks, 2 lunchboxes and a water bottle.  And I took Quarta to Dennis Uniform and spent over $200 on clothes in her new size and a few more things for Secundus.  They can start school.  Well, assuming I'm able to line up a carpool for them.  But I refuse to think about teaching until I absolutely have to.  And that means that my desk has to be set up first.  Last time I checked, I didn't have a desk.  And I'll be dodging the raindrops and carting stuff around to 3 different classrooms when school does start, which I personally don't think will be very conducive to me staying organized.  And if I'm not organized... well, to say I'm depressed about the oncoming year, my 14th of teaching, is putting it generously.  And there's inservice to be gotten through next week.  I just want to cry whenever I think about it, so I try not to.

Secundus' new truck won't start.  They got it home originally by means of a jump start, and it started again without one after a brief fuel stop on the way.  He replaced the battery himself, and it won't start at all now.  Best guess (because it's totally out of Steve's and my familiarity level) is that there's a problem with the starter.  And probably a leak in the fuel line.  He remains undaunted and is determined to learn what he needs to know to fix it himself, with the help of some friends who are good with cars.  Bear in mind, he did get it for fairly cheap (still about 1 1/2 months' salary for me).  But somehow I don't think he will be driving himself to school and cross-country practice for at least a few weeks.  Which means that I will have to think about how to get him and Quarta to school, since I have to stay home until Tertia gets on her bus and I can't do it.  Sigh.

My computer is not working right.  Steve says it needs a full lobotomy and a new battery.  Another thing I can't fix.

I used to be able to embed pins from Pinterest on my blog here, but they have changed the code for the way to do that and I can't figure out how to make it work at all.  I was going to try to do a book review.  Another thing I can't fix... if it can't be done with a needle and thread or a cogently written paragraph, I'm hopeless.

I'd like to be able to put one lighthearted, happy thought on the blog today, but I can't seem to muster it.  Sorry.  I won't share to Facebook for fear of the happy police.  Usually I'm cheerful enough to avoid them, but they do stalk me occasionally.  What is the procedure for dealing with "friends" who complain about you to your boss rather than talking to you personally?  Should I unfriend them?  Another problem I can't solve, apparently.

"Books want to be born: I never make them. They come to me and insist on being written, and on being such and such." 
 Samuel Butler

2 comments:

ljeanne said...

You must go back to the dentist and have your bite adjusted. It will cause all sorts of problems for you, from sore teeth, to damaging other teeth, and causing jaw problems (TMJ). Your dentist should not charge for that. Sorry about your school situation. I am a retired teacher, so I do understand. In-service is the pits when all you can think about is getting yourself organized.

I will be thinking of you and hope things settle down soon.

cse84663 said...

School for us started 2 weeks ago. I was in the same depressed state. I didn't want to have to think about school and having to go back to teaching, so I put off finding carpools and school shopping until the day before school started....I hope you feel better about it all. Good luck!