Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pickles and a Red Truck

 We have been blessed with an abundance of cucumbers in the Grace's Garden basket the last few weeks -- I tried this recipe... Easy Refrigerator Pickles...
...and this recipe... Lacto-fermented Pickles.  This one called for whey from yogurt and had to sit out on the counter for 2 days fermenting.  It's quite the neo-hippie earth mother experience, let me tell you... the ones I ate today tasted quite fermented but had a nice dilly sourness to them, even with no vinegar added.  I wouldn't let the rest of the family taste yet -- we'll see if I'm posting tomorrow, they're probably okay.  I'll be brewing kombucha next.  Just kidding, I don't have any fridge space left.  Any more pickles will have to be canned to be shelf-stable.
Secundus' truck.  This is what he cleaned bathrooms at the fair and die-cut game pieces for.  It's as old as Daniel, has almost enough mileage for a trip to the moon, and the battery is the first thing on the replacement list, because it has to be jump-started each time.  Secundus is not willing to make it Facebook-official yet until he removes the canopy, which he finds unattractive.  So I won't be sharing this to Facebook, but I personally find the canopy a thing of grace and beauty compared to the tires and the loud, exhaust-fumed engine.  I hope he can get it to pass emissions.

1 comment:

Elaine M said...

With so many extra zucchini, I've made zucchini refrigerator pickles. Thought it was the seller's responsibility to get the emissions test before selling, within 90 days.