Friday, May 27, 2011

The Allure of Red and Aqua

I have been noticing a new-to-me color combination a lot on the quilt blogs: red and aqua.  For years I had a subscription to at least one quilt magazine so I could keep up with these trends, but I've been simplifying, or trying to, the last few years and I've also been focusing more on knitting instead.  I was surprised by how much I immediately loved this color combination and wanted to do a quilt in it.

It's also appealing when you add in some sweet pinks to the mix.  That helps temper the aqua skull and crossbones a bit, maybe.

Now, I'm not really an aqua person.  I never thought I was, anyway.  Too close to teal, which is about the only color I don't love.  (I won't say I don't like it, but I'm not terribly likely to use it much). But it's been growing very trendy in recent years and, as trends have a way of doing, aqua has been growing on me subtly without my being aware of it.  I decided to lay out a possible grouping of fabrics from my newly reorganized stash, figuring I probably wouldn't find much aqua.  Ironically, I had a harder time finding true red, because of my red Chinese Lanterns quilt from a few years back.
So, I'd have to buy more red, which I can't do because I have absolutely no more room for fabric in my sewing corner until I make about 5 scrap quilts to use up what I've got.  In fact, I could probably make a monochromatic quilt similar to the above in blue, green, pink, purple, orange, and yellow, and then we could talk about fabric shopping.

You can see some more inspiring examples of the red and aqua color combo here.  I really do like the idea.

Bought a new vacuum cleaner this week.  It's the one on the left.  The old one has lost its mojo, and some of its attachments.  The new one is supposed to be especially good at picking up pet hair, and it comes with a special attachment you can use for grooming your pet during shedding season:

<Snort!> You just try that on any self-respecting cat!

No comments: