Monday, March 11, 2013

Design Wall and Stash report: Finished Crumbs Top

Here's what's on my design wall!
 
My Crumbs top is done!  I had few marathon piecing sessions over the weekend and finally got it together late last night.  This is the top that I will take into school over the next few weeks and collect signatures from all the students and staff.  Then I will quilt it and turn it over to the auction committee.  Last year's quilt raised $700 in the live auction, although my other quilts that I donated were in the silent auction and didn't do as well.  So I'm just doing the one quilt this time.  I stayed up a little extra late to begin the marathon task of reorganizing my scrap bins.

And hey! Since this is a finished top, I can count the fabric towards my stash busting!  This is 64" x 76", good for a twin bed (or a dorm bed, what a great keepsake!)  Because it is densely pieced, I'm estimating it used up about 5 yards of fabric total.  But oops!  I bought fabric this week, in the form of shirts when I went thrift store rummaging.  I will estimate 1 yard per shirt for 10 shirts that are cleared to enter stash.  Even though I haven't "deboned" those shirts yet.  Then there are 4 more shirts that may be Daniel's or may go into the stash; I'll wait on those.
The knitting projects are both close to completion but I can't count the yarn used yet.  Here's the multi-stranded cotton bathmat, which I decided to finish with a double-crochet border.  A knitted garter strip would have made it a little too big and unwieldy.  I'm 25% done with the border.  And I'm also working on the cuff of Steve's socks.

Stash report

Quilting fabric:
Fabric used this week: 5 yards for Crumbs top
Fabric used year to date: 21 yards
Added this week: 10 yards from thrift store shirts
Added year to date: 3 yards
Net used for 2013: 8 yards
Knitting yarn:
Yarn used this week: 0 yards
Yarn used year to date: 880 yards
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 910 yards
Net used for 2013: -30 yards in the hole and working hard to finish more

2 comments:

Jill said...

What a great memory this quilt will be for the auction winner!

Rhonda said...

What a great quilt and a wonderful memory for some luck person. I have become a "FOLLOWER" of your block.
Take care.