There are very few days to "do stuff" before Christmas; Daniel is in Chicago waiting for his delayed flight to Denver and hoping to get to PDX late tonight; the other kids are bored with their vacation already, sniping at me and each other, and lobbying for screen time and shopping trips. I spent over $270 on groceries at Winco this morning (that includes the Christmas ham, the New Years' steak, and a $30 bag of cat food, so it's not a bad as you'd think. But still.) This afternoon I cooked some ground beef for Sloppy Joes tonight, baked up a batch of homemade granola, and started a batch of Filled Raisin Cookies. I was going to make Grandma's Fudge recipe, but I don't have marshmallow creme. Looks like I'll have to go back to the store before long.
Not a lot of sewing has been done today. None at all, actually. But yesterday I loaded Barney onto the Megaquilter and began quilting:
Socks for Steve -- almost ready to begin the gusset. They will not be finished by Christmas.
This is the book I most recently finished, and I quite enjoyed it. Jane Austen fanfiction is always entertaining but this was a cut above most that I've read. I really feel the author successfully got inside Mr. Darcy's head and told a story that merges and diverges from Pride and Prejudice in a totally believable way. It will make you want to reread the original just to see which scenes are changed and how.
12 shawls in 2012 project I completed. I was going to save it for another post but I may want to take some blog vacation time over the next week, so I might as well share it now. They're in sequential order, clockwise from top left, with the center photo a closeup of the bottom right shawl. Of the 12, they all used stash yarn (or handspun from stash fiber) since I did not buy any yarn this year. Shawls #2, 3, 9, 10, and 12 were from handspun. Shawls #5, 6, 7, and 9 used more than 500 yards (they make a big deal about that in the Ravelry group). Shawl #7 "Black Roses/ Lady MacBeth" was more like 1000 yards of cobweb-weight cashmere, reclaimed from a thrift store sweater and dyed with Wilton's, and I beaded that one. So it was definitely my agony-and-ecstasy project for the year.
Now that I know how to make collages with Photoscape, I'll have to do a retrospective for my 2012 quilts and the ufo's from this year.