Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Feathered Star: Evaluation

August UFO dating from 1999 - Feathered Star.  I was pregnant with Tertia when my quilt group in Denver, Hearts and Hands, began this project.  In theory, we would piece the central medallion and then challenge ourselves to add multiple borders to make it a showstopping quilt.  I spent a fair amount of money, for me and at that time, on beautiful fabrics in "my" colors for what I thought would be a wall quilt that could be the centerpiece of my living room.  "These fabrics would be stunning with lots of elaborate applique!" was one of the comments I received. And it's true, they would.  But they probably aren't going to be.

But before I could get to the applique, I had to do the piecing.  And whether it was the morning sickness, or the disruption from moving -- twice -- or just my own lack of piecing skills, I've never been happy with the medallion.  The points don't really match, it's not precisely 24" square, and I put it away, thinking maybe I'd piece another feathered star sometime, or maybe 3 more for a bed-sized quilt.  Now, I'm no longer in my applique phase.  I still love the fabrics, but I'm not willing to spend that much time with them, especially when the central medallion is less than perfect.  So, it is what it is.  I'll come up with 3 or 4 borders to add to it and aim for a table topper or wall quilt that I can enjoy now rather than in 13 more years.  I think it would be great for Christmas, but those are my favorite colors any time of year.  And it would still look good in my living room!

That was supposed to be my Design Wall Monday post... but I ended up having a horrible migraine/ sick headache yesterday and didn't get anything done.  Well, I made blueberry jam and went clothes shopping with Daniel.  But no blogging, and no knitting.  I'm trying to recuperate today.  I'm finished with the back and right front of my orange Ravelympics sweater and hope to do a lot of knitting this afternoon and evening and maybe finish the left front.  I'm still running into crunch time to finish it up before closing ceremony August 12.  With a lot of couch potato knitting time, I still could make it.

Stash Report:

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 53.5 yards
Added this week: 0 yards
Added year to date: 28 yards
Net used for 2012: 25.5 yards

Yarn used this week: 904 yards so far on Rhinebeck (up through skein 225)
Yarn used year to date: 5310 yards
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 3503 yards (all handspun, not purchased)
Net used for 2012: 1807 yards

No comments: