Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wip Wednesday: the 6-inch Rule

Wednesday again, and lots more going on over at Freshly Pieced.  This week I made a lot of 6" and 6.5" blocks.
Farmer's Wife Quilt block #55: Linoleum.  I think the first time I saw this quilt at a now-closed quilt shop, this was the color scheme they used.
Block #56: Maple leaf.  Definitely going for an autumnal vibe with this one.
Block #57: Morning.  This is an unusual combination of prints, but they all say "morning" to me.
Block #58: Mother's Dream.  Three generations of dress scraps went into this: big flowers from one of my maternity jumpers, little red flowers from my mother, and the little pink calico from my youngest daughter's dress.  Misty water-color memories...
I just started the Crumb-Along quilt-along (blogged here and here) and have made this many more 6" blocks since Saturday.  In the interests of full disclosure and taking the process pledge, here is what my sewing area looks like when I'm doing this type of quilting:
Yeah, I meant it when I said "royal mess."  But it's a happy mess... like making mud pies when I was little... except I never really made pies, I made cities.  It's hard to know when to stop.

The Viking dealership just left a message that the Megaquilter is ready to be picked up -- that was just a little over a week!  But I won't be able to get over to that end of town for a few days (parent-teacher conferences going on at school).

So let's see, this week's progress:
  • Joined crumb-along and finished 32 blocks
  • Farmer's Wife Quilt - 4 blocks
finished or almost finished quilt tops waiting to be quilted:
  • Framed In quilt
  • Aunt Maggie's quilt
  • STARS quilt-along quilt
  • My daughter's 1st quilt
no progress on any of those tops this week, and no progress on the UFOs I have lying around (a log cabin and a sports-themed quilt for an auction donation).  I need to have a mega-megaquilter session once I get that thing back and set up again.

Knitting: a few rows of my On Your Toes sweater and I'm turning the heels on my 4th consecutive pair of Stashbuster Spirals socks.

I am halfway through a mountain of grading and teacher prep for finals week ... does that count?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love happy quilty messes! Looks like you're having a lot of fun with yours.