Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Quilts of the Past: Ohio Rose

Today is my birthday and tomorrow would be my mother's, Rosalie Ruth Maffett Bogue.  She was born on Columbus Day in 1940 and died of breast cancer on Groundhog's Day in 2004.  So here is the Ohio Rose quilt I made as part of the Mom Memorial Quilt Project, from her clothing, particularly the woolen and heavier-weight fabrics.
As a matter of fact, I had enough fabric for two quilts.  One lives with me and one with my sister Sarah in Virginia.
I was able to use some unconventional fabrics like knits on the appliques, which was kind of fun.  I also played around with the decorative stitching on my machine for the appliques, which are fused onto the backgrounds.
And for the hanging sleeve on the one I kept, I used the Mickey and Goofy measuring chart from my childhood that was "too special" to throw out.  Thinking about it now, nothing is that special, but I avoided having to make a painful call by putting it in the quilt.  Mom would probably have approved.

No comments: