Wednesday, October 5, 2011

WIP Wednesday #14

I finished the body of my STARS quilt-along quilt, but still need to decide on and add borders.  I'm debating about making a wonky strip-pieced border, but I'll probably just add a narrow and wider border as the pattern calls for if I have enough of any one fabric.
Farmer's Wife Quilt block #46: Hill and Valley.  Fairly easy except for the small squares at the hilltops: their finished measurement is the square root of 2 (1.41) = 1 3/8" (generous), so they were cut 1 7/8" (generous).  The other triangles are HSTs based on a 3" measurement (cut 3 7/8"), HSTs based on a 2" measurement (cut 2 7/8") and QSTs based on a 2" measurement (cut 3 1/4").
Block # 47: Homemaker.  I had to draw this one out on graph paper (it is based on a 9-patch grid) and then paper pieced the radiating points units.  Then I still had to attach them to the center 2 1/2" square with inset seams.  It is a pretty block, but I'll never make another one like it.
Before making those blocks I did snap a picture of blocks 1-45.  It's getting to be a big bunch!
And these are my current Stashbuster Spirals.  More about them and the Sweet Tomato Heel I'm using on them when they're finished.

2 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your Stars QAL quilt is beautiful! I really need to get back to this one....just need to make a few Block #6 and put it together.

Kleep said...

I think star quilts are my favourites. And yours is amazing! Great work. Your FWQAL is looking great too. It's so neat to see those all over blog land with such awesome and unique looks.