Saturday, February 16, 2013

Randomday

I finished piecing Easy Street today!  That's a big quilt top, and my first sewing finish of the year.  Pictures when I can.

The girls and I went to the library, then to a bridal shower at church, then to Fabric Depot.  I was removed from their mailing list because I didn't return my mailer to be scanned before the end of January, so I signed up again.  Somehow going into that store always makes me feel overwhelmed.  Lots, lots, lots of fabric, but it's hard to focus on just what I need.  I did buy a book:


I'm really liking Bonnie Hunter's aesthetic.  I was looking for her most recent book, String Fling, but this was the only one I could find.  It's not like I "need" another quilt book, but it was a treat.

On Valentine's Day I was walking past a couple of 8th grade girls at lunchtime.  "Mrs. Chapman, would you like a piece of seaweed?" one asked, offering a little box of tissue-thin seaweed wafers.  I figured, sure, it's a healthy alternative to chocolate and I'm up for adventure, and besides, these girls are so kind to remember me on Valentine's Day.  So I took one and ate it.  "It has wasabi on it," she said as I prepared to walk away.  "It sure does," I replied, and smiled sweetly.  This is what it's like to teach 8th grade.

Quarta won her slot at the speech meet this last week, with a spirited rendition of "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" by T.S. Eliot. 

Daniel is going to be in a Children's Theater production of Seussical.  I believe he has been cast as a Who.

In Latin-related news (what? You don't believe there is Latin-related news?) ... here is a fun article about how knowing Latin can make your career. 

And a fun quote I ran across while playing cryptograms this week:

If one man says to thee, "Thou art a donkey," pay no heed. If two speak thus, purchase a saddle. -- Talmud

No comments: