Monday, February 27, 2012

Design Wall Monday and Stash Report - Squiggle/loop/star

It's Design Wall Monday, but since my sewing corner is under construction at this very moment, all the action is on my Megaquilter setup, where Aunt Maggie's Quilt from last week is being machine-quilted in what is my new favorite quilting pattern, squiggle/loop/star.  I'm really liking how it looks... whimsical yet not inappropriate for the reproduction fabrics and small pieces.  It's about halfway done and it will be a tight squeeze to get it bound before the end of the month, but it should at least be close (it's my UFO for February).

Saturday at my church a small number of ladies showed up for quilting.  I took Quarta along and taught her how to make string blocks:
Of course that's a messy process as you work:
The other ladies had different projects going:
Sandri is meticulously planning quilts for her granddaughters.  She has an artistic eye for detail in color-coordination and she is carefully calculating how to set rectangles fussy-cut from her focus fabric on point.
I don't work that way at all.  I just tend to jump in and hope for the best, and my sewing area while I work is gloriously messy. 
Cute flannel baby quilt.
Dana brought a painting project - a name train for her nephew.  I like that spirit of finishing up UFOs.  I sat and stitched on one of my applique flower blocks for the 1996 Piecemaker's calendar.  It was a nice morning.  Next time I blog about sewing I hope I'll have some pictures of my improved sewing table and maybe it will even be organized!
Stash report:

I was planning not to make a stash report this week because I didn't finish anything.  But then my mother-in-law came over yesterday and brought a bag of fabric with her to give to me.  This makes my stash-flow look bad because I had determined not to buy fabric this year, but it is pretty fabric.

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 20.9 yards
Added this week: 4.5 yards from Grandma

Added year to date: 4.5 yards (all received as gifts, not purchased)
Net used for 2012: 16.4  yards

Yarn used this week: 0 yards
Yarn used year to date: 864 yards
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 492 yards (all handspun, not purchased)
Net used for 2012: 372 yards

1 comment:

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the Holly Hobby fabric!