Monday, January 23, 2012

Design Wall Monday and Stash Report

Full disclosure: my design "wall" is too small.  I tend to use it as a staging area for whatever project(s) I'm working on at the moment.  It's right behind my ironing board and the clutter is really bad, even after my marathon ironing session Saturday night.  This is exactly how it looks right now.  At the top is 1 1/2 strips of the sports-themed quilt I'm trying to throw together for the Cedar Tree auction.  Top right peeking out from under that is one of the Farmer's Wife blocks (they stay on the design wall until they're blogged, then they go into the pile).  In the center and partially covered by the sports are two of my Piecemaker's blocks, with applique complete on one and partial on another.  Draped over the ironing board is Orca Bay, which is about 1/4 sewn together.  I can't really use the design wall for it because it's too wide, so I'll really have to vacuum the carpet and use the floor for layout.  Behind and under the ironing board is pinned a Jack's Chain block, one of my long-term UFOs.  Just so I won't forget about it! 

To make my design wall more usable for the size quilts I tend to make, I've decided I need to get a 72" dowel rod to stretch between the two window frames on either side (which are 68" apart) and add a few more strips of batting to increase the width of what I've got now.  It would be fine if I only made baby quilts, but most things I make are at least twin size.  Right now the batting is supported by a "clothesline" strung between two nails, and it's not terribly sturdy.
The Crumbs quilt is on the Megaquilter frame!  I chased down every last kid at school and almost all the staff to get their signatures.  I did a test swatch with green variegated thread and it's looking okay... no thread nests so far.  I'll start quilting as soon as I stop blogging today.  I'd like to get this finished and off to the school.

Stash report:

Fabric used this week: 3.25 yards (pieced backing for Crumbs quilt)
Fabric used year to date: 3.25 yards
Added this week: 0 yards
Added year to date: 0 yards
Net used for 2012: 3.25 yards
Yarn used this week: 0 yards
Yarn used year to date: 414 yards
Yarn added this week: 0 yards
Yarn added year to date: 0 yards
Net used for 2012: 414 yards


I'm linking up to Judy L's Stash Report and Design Wall Monday.  I hope it's okay to link to both.

No comments: