Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tour de Fleece Wrap-up

Group shot of all the fiber that I dyed or spun during the 23 days of the Tour de Fleece.  I didn't have specific goals, other than to process the older fiber in my stash and get it down to the point where I can work with the stuff I've bought in the last year.  I was pretty successful, although I still have to wind off and count yardage on a lot of this stuff.  I learned how to Navajo-ply, and I became a lot more comfortable with spindle-spinning and also with spinning fine.  I'm going to need to come up with a knitting challenge to use this up, but that's for later.  I do have a few ideas.
Here's the Bow Tie block from the Farmer's Wife Quilt.  I'm doing this ad lib, no templates, so here's how I did it:  It's a 4 patch, so I cut 2 each of the blue and the rainbow plaid to 3.5" (each will finish to 3" and that brings the total block to 6" finished size).  Then I cut 4 green plaid squares to 2" square and used the "fast-45" technique to add them onto the corners of each square.  A very easy block, made with some of Grandpa's rainbow plaid shirt, so it looks like Grandpa's bow-tie.

No comments: