Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Roman coins quilt finished at last

A few notes of explanation.  This quilt counts as a 2010 finish, but had been lying folded in my sewing area for a long time because it still needed a label.  I finally got around to making and sewing on a label last weekend.

Roman Coins is actually what most people call Chinese Coins, but I'm a Latin teacher so they can be Roman coins.  The actual pattern was Roman Square from Quilter's Cache, but I fail to see any great difference between the two, so they can be Roman coins.  And they do look a little like conjugation charts, don't they?  Amo, amas, amat... The idea was archeology from my scrap stash, as it has been with all my quilts recently. 

This was the first of my series of scrap quilts inspired by the old motto, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."  This was intended to use up a lot of my strips of random leftover fabric and is even more randomly scrappy than most of my quilts are.  I tied it together with solid black fabric from previous projects.  You can find Bob and Larry, Mickey Mouse, and all sorts of conversational fabrics in addition to leftover quilting fabrics.  It doesn't have a home yet.
Closeup of the quilting: I did feathers and heart-shaped leaves in variegated thread.  At 87" x 60" it's a twin-sized quilt.  The backing was pieced from scraps, too.

This was all it needed to finish it up.  Silly, isn't it?

No comments: