Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Blue Onion - Recreating Grandma's china collection, one piece at a time


My most recent thrift store find was pretty special.  Since I was a little girl I have loved the combination of blue and white in kitchens, all because of Grandma.  This pattern is called Blue Onion and it looks exactly like the cannister set she had.  I think my sister has it now.  I only found the Flour and Sugar cannisters at Salvation Army, and they both have cracks on the lids, but for $6.00 total (half-price sale) I'm really happy with them. 

The Blue Onion pattern has been copied many times, and I look for it every time I'm at a thrift store.  I inherited what was left of Grandma's everyday "Blue Fjord" pattern by Wood & Sons, if I can get the picture to post (Ides of March apparently makes our internet connection even slower):



Three dinner plates, 4 dessert plates, 7 bowls, and 4 little bowls perfect for small servings of strawberries.  I think Sarah got the teacups.  Over the years I've added to the collection from Salvation Army, Goodwill, and Value Village:

Two cup and saucers and two bread-and-butter plates from Johnson Brothers - "Saxony."  One saucer and one bread-and-butter from J.G. Meakin - "Blue Nordic."  But the Flour and Sugar cannisters... that was really cool.

No comments: