Monday, February 28, 2011

Why Carpe Lanam?

I should probably have a post where I explain the blog title.  Carpe Lanam is a riff on "carpe diem" (seize the day, an altered version of a quote by Horace).  It is also my internet username on such sites as Ravelry, Library Thing, and Etsy.  It means "seize the wool," and I thought it up after realizing belatedly that most people on Ravelry don't use their real names as their usernames.  It works brilliantly well on Ravelry, which is a social networking site for knitters, but since I talk about a lot of other things besides knitting here (and there as well, truth be told), I've decided that "seize the wool" can be interpreted metaphorically to cover all types of woolgathering.  I'm just too interested in a wide range of things for my blog to be anything but eclectic, as you've noticed if you've read more than one post.  Or even more than one paragraph.

The other day I was reading in bed when I noticed a ladybug crawling on the ceiling.  I'm much more compassionate towards the ladybugs than the flies, so I climbed up on the bed to scoop up the bug so I could give it its freedom outside.  But it fell off my hand and onto this quilt:
and I haven't seen it since.  This is another quilt from Kaffe Fassett's Passionate Patchwork.  It's a few years old but I love the juxtaposition of so many different reds. 

No comments: