Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WIP Wednesday #7: Odds and Ends

Many works in progress and little finished this week.  Boys are painting outside and trying to put the gutters and light fixtures back on, and for some reason that makes me less likely to get things done inside.  I did make two Farmer's Wife blocks:
Block 23: Country Farm.  This one is almost a 9-patch, but you have to build it diagonally from the center.  The center triangles are HST's cut 2 7/8", the green star points and blue background triangles are QST's cut 3 1/4", and the squares are cut 2 1/2".  And yes, that top point isn't perfect.  Watch me not worrying about it!
Block 24: Country Path.  I played with value placement on this one, and I like how it turned out even if it's a lot darker than the rest of my blocks. Center lozenge is from a 2 5/8" square, with the fast-45 technique to attach two 1 5/8" (scant) squares to become the triangles.  The small squares are also 1 5/8" (scant) and the triangles are QST's cut from a 2 3/4" square.  The big squares are cut 2".

It's amazing how much memory-linking there is in a quilt like this.  Just in these two blocks, there is fabric from my mother, my father-in-law, my husband, my daughters, and remnants from a dress I made for myself.  Of course, my obsessive scrap-saving might have something to do with that.

In addition to the Farmer's Wife blocks, this week I finished two pairs of boxers for my husband and son, jumped into the Happy Quilting Stars quilt-along (3 blocks so far!), and made a very little progress on machine quilting Grandma's Japanese Lanterns quilt.  And I started knitting another pair of socks.

I have a backlog of tops to quilt, so I hope to finish the Lanterns up soon and move on.  Also, Family Camp starts tomorrow (for us, today for some hardy souls) so not much will be posted for a few days.  And -- I shudder to think -- school is just around the corner.

Primigenitus just poked his head in the door to ask about when you're putting a light fixture back on... it's white on white and black on black... right? And what's the worst that could happen if you're wrong? This is one of the reasons I quilt.

Link-up party over at Freshly Pieced today.

No comments: